Don't see it? Search This Blog

May 19, 2008

A Day in the Life

Last week was filled with much strumming, that's for sure; wish it were that way every week. So, back to normal, it's Monday and the start of another week.
Over the weekend, I repainted an old wooden rocking chair that we purchased at an auction a couple of years ago. I've been meaning to repaint it ever since we brought it home. It's been out on the deck since then too, so I figured I better do it now because I don't want it to end up in the landfill before it's time. I painted it a deep, dark navy blue. I plan to stencil some stars on it but I'm waiting for a sunny day to do it. I do my painting outdoors, so the weather is a big factor. I also am going to paint an old ladder back chair in Americana colors to match. Guess we're gonna have an Americana deck this summer!
I planted elephant ears in 2 old half whiskey barrels and they are beginning to grow. Tim gave me several flowers for Mother's Day and they are in a barrel too. The deck is my "respite place" and it is beginning to come together. I am using trimmed branches from the bush honeysuckle to build a trellis for the cypus vine to climb. They aren't up yet. The hummingbirds love them but they grow in a barrel because they could be invasive if allowed to. The bush honeysuckle is very invasive, so I am cutting it all down. It had begun to fill the back of our yard. It is pretty in the spring and provided some privacy but I want to find something native to replace it.
I am making a list of native plants that I would like to use in the yard. Researching it on the web, I have found that some of the best sources of native plants are sites that list "weeds" for those who prefer to not have native yards. I have chosen this, not because I am card carrying tree hugger, but because I am proud of Kentucky's natural beauty and I prefer to have it around me. That it provides habitat for things displaced by urban sprawl and a healthier environment is icing on the cake. Native plants require less water and less in the way of pesticides and herbicides because they are adapted to our climate and have developed immunities to many pests and disease. So less yard work sounds good to me..... ; ) More time to strum and "respite"!

No comments:

Post a Comment